Friday, August 29, 2008

Religion in Politics?


(Having just watched the religion in politics debate) It seems to me that evangelicals are willing to watch the world burn as long as abortions are illegal. Why does this singular issue dominate this demographic in an election year when so many other issues are at stake. What good does it to bring a child into a world full of poverty, unaffordable healthcare, endless war, and corruption? Maybe any given child will be able to fight those issues by being born I guess. Fine. but I don't understand why evangelicals can't find common ground on this issue by focusing on reducing the need for abortions all together; promoting responsible sex, communication between adults and children; reducing the stigma of sex. The past 8 years have had an administration that takes the pro-life stance; promoting abstinence over responsible sex and abortions have not decreased. Maybe there are different approaches.

This election season strikes a cord with me. The past 2 election cycles I have felt extremely disappointed. I actually started my Peace Corps application 4 years ago when Bush was reelected because I wanted to leave so badly. But I am still here, my application is being processed and never before have I felt more compelled to be involved politically. I guess I am just frustrated. I liked John McCain before he started taking the pro-Bush approach. This is a mistake that will cost him and I don't understand why he is doing it. It seems like the Republicans put forth the next person in line; the guy who was"owed his due" (to quote Carl Rove upon the passing of tax breaks for the richest americans). However, I have been for Obama since before the Iowa primary because I understand that when you elect someone you are not just electing one person. You are electing someone's ability to appoint people in important positions; which Obama has. Instead of McCain saying "I don't understand the economy", Obama's approach is "This is a complicated issue that deserves the right people regardless of party affiliation", which I respect and can stand behind.

No comments: